Mesquite footstool: udpdate

>> Sunday, February 24, 2008

Well, I finished the footstool yesterday and put the first coat of finish on it. I'm sitting in the living room right now with my feet propped up on it, with the faint aroma of oil and turp wafting up.

The mortise and tenon joinery was very difficult, and I can't say that my results turned out all that well. In fact, one leg has a big split in it from the wedged tenon. However, I've repaired it and because it is under the top surface, it isn't at all noticeable to the causal observer. You can certainly fix a lot with pva glue and wood dust.

I'm a terrible woodworker--all misses and slips on my hand work. I love it so, though.

2 comments:

jmesserer March 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

Susan,

I think that is the beauty of working with wood. That you can make mistakes but the wood lets you fix it. I bet even mastercraftmans make mistake but are masters of deceit which it appears you have learned.

Hey, next time you are finishing your paddles let me know. I need to refinish/repair a couple of my paddles.

Cheers
Jordan

Sherrie York October 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Well, SUSAN! I don't know how I missed this little corner of your blogosphere before, but WOW! I don't know a good word... beautiful... warm... sensual... Well-crafted wood just leaves me tongue-tied!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP